Wednesday 27 January 2010

Doing my S.U.M.S.

Just when I though my plans for the year were sorted along comes Murdo and introduces the Scottish Ultra Marathon Series. A series of 9 scottish ultra marathons including 2 new events and one resurrected event.
The scoring requires runners to complete at least 4 of the races and prizes will be awarded to the overall series winners after the last race - the River Ayr Way.
Now I'm already signed up for two of the races - The Highland Fling and the West Highland Way Race but I am keen to do 2 more to feature in the series rankings.
I have decided therefore to do:
The Clyde Stride - a 40 mile race following the new clyde walkway from Partick to Lanark. This is only 4 weeks after the West Highland Way Race so if last year is anything to go by, I wont exactly be springing along.
The Speyside Way Race - This was apparantly last run in 2005 and ties in nicely with my plans to run this route anyway. The race is only 35 miles which, as far as i am aware, is less than the full speyside way but looks like being a great race none the less. This is on 28th August and as this is usually quite a quite month for me, it fills the gap quite nicely.
So at the moment, my race plans for this year are now:
March - the Mighty Deerstalker
April - The Highland Fling
May - Cycling trip to France
June - 70 Wild Miles and the West Highland Way Race
July - The Clyde Stride
August - The Speyside Way Race
September - Glasgow half marathon
October - Longmynd Hike

Looks like a full year with 5 ultras and few 10ks and other half marathons scattered around in there.
Training is going OK at the moment - no huge mileage but what I am doing I feel good about. I did an 18 miler on Sunday morning and finished strongly feeling good. The plan is step up this weekend and put in a 25 and then keep the momentum going through Feb.

2 comments:

Andy Cole said...

Looks like a good year Graeme, see you at the Fling.

Andy Cole said...

Looks like a really good year Graeme, see you at the Fling.