Tuesday 15 June 2010

It's The Final, "sniff" Countdown!

I've got a cold - normally that's no big deal. Take some lemsip and just ride it out; it'll be gone in a few days. The trouble is that in 3 days time, I'm running a 95 mile ultra marathon through some of Scotlands finest but toughest scenery!

It's not a big cold, just a runny nose and a bit of sore throat but not the kind of pre-race build up I was hoping for. The plan was to run an easy 5 miles or so tonight to keep the legs ticking over and to gather my thoughts for the big day but I think it best if I stay indoors and keep popping the Echinachia (?)

I ran a strong race in the Milngavie & Bearsden 10k at the weekend finishing in 42mins 45secs; 10 seconds faster than last year and good enough for 10th place and now am trying to rest the legs and get my head ready for this weekend.

I try to avoid too many detailed race plans as I tend to find that, on the day, I race as I feel irrespective of what I've written down, but there is a need to have some form of strategy and plan so; in no particular order, here are my intentions:

  • I'd like to get inside 23 hours - last year I ran 23:30 and 24:45 the year before so I know sub 23 is in me. It would be nice to finish on the same day I started.
  • My pace chart shows me setting off slower than last year until about Auchtertyre when I start to overtake my timings. I need to average 14.5min/mile overall to hit sub 23.
  • I need to try and avoid the cramp that has plagued me in the last two Highland Fling races (but not in the WHW?) so regular "s" caps, soup and some ready salted crisps on stand-by. The forecast looks like its could be hot so plenty of water as well.
  • I want my suppport runners to push me on a bit harder in the later stages (Donald, Alistair - are you reading this?). Particularly along the larig mhor and down into Frt William.
  • If I can take 1 minute off each pit stop, I'll gain an extra 10 mins without any running!
  • Patience - this is very important as it's going to be a long day. I know there will be times when I get downhearted but I also know that these moments pass and I just need to keep presssing on.
  • Enjoy it!
  • Stay positive as this helps to keep the mind and body going.
  • Don't stop - sometimes easier said than done but the bottom line for this race is to keeping moving forward, keep putting one foot in front of the other and no matter what else happens, I will finish!

So there we go, the final run in to my 3rd WHW Race and I'm still nervous, exited and worried but I can't wait to get back out there again and put my body and mind on the line and, with the help of my fantastic support crew, experience another amazing journey to Fort William.

Pass the Lemsip..............

3 comments:

tm said...

Good luck - based on yer runs over the last few weeks the sub 23 is in there and will be out at the weekend.

Your mantra of "keep moving forwards and I'll get there" kept me going during some dark spells during the Glasgow Edinburgh race -it will keep you going too.


tm, Morag & Angus

Anonymous said...

All the best Grum. As TM has said - some impressive times and placings in the last few weeks.

Digging deep is something you have certainly shown in the past.

Not a challenge of the same magnitude as the Highland Fling I know - but I managed I Col De Bataille despite bonking out and then followed it with some great rides.

Keep positive - watch out for those cows in the trees though.

Go for it ! Hope your support crew can keep up.

Boris et al

Unknown said...

Reading it? I'm thinking of having parts of printed on the back of a t-shirt then running in front where you can see it.
See you tomorrow.