Thursday 5 March 2009

Carry on regardless

Well I've eased back on my running only having completed about 20 miles in the last 2 weeks, I've replaced my road shoes and my trail shoes and I've been stretching, massaging and icing as often as possible. Has it made a difference? - not really, no.
Mind you, it's not any worse either. It seems to have settled out as an annoying discomfort that is there when I'm standing for any length of time but seems to all but disappear when I'm walking or running.
I've therefore decided; perhaps foolishly, to carry on as normal. I'll gradually build up the miles again and hope that my new shoes will prevent matters from getting worse. I'm planning on racing the Wuthering Hike a week on Saturday so I intend going out on Sunday morning for about 18 miles or so and if all is well, I'll race.
I've felt a bit down this last week or so and I've been snapping at the kids and Eve for silly little things. I thought it was mainly due to a stressful time at work but the more I think of it the more I'm convinced that it's due to my lack of running and my annoyance at another injury.
I read "To the Edge" again last week by Kirk Johnson which is a truly inspiring book about a New York Times reporter who went from very little running to competing in Badwater over the course of a year. It focuses on the psychological and emotional side of ultra running as much as the physical and I would recommend it to anyone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edge-Death-Valley-Mystery-Endurance/dp/044667902X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236269445&sr=1-6

Anyway - onwards and upwards and I'll post after my Sunday run to let you know the prognosis

3 comments:

Silke said...

Hope you can get your PF under control!
Thanks for the book tip! (I hope Thomas is not reading this ...)He might get it for his birthday!
Silke

Marco Consani said...

Hey Graeme,
Good to hear that you are getting back to training and that your sore foot is a bit better.
Good luck running Wuthering.
Marco

Tim said...

Hi Graeme, sorry to hear the PF is still troubling you. If it doesn't improve soon you might want to try the periosteal pecking treatment.