Tuesday 24 February 2009

Plantar Fasciitis

Well, as I suspected, the diagnosis is Plantar Fasciitis. I hope that I have caught it early enough that it will be treated without too much disruption to my racing and training plans.
It is difficult to know what has caused it but I think it is a combination of increased mileage, shoes that need replaced and my rather complex biomechanics as a result of having big flat feet. The main treatment is going to be to replace my road shoes which will hopefully help and then to treat with ice and massage.
I'm going to keep running although on a reduced mileage and see how it feels and I am still planning on running the Wuthering Hike in a couple of weeks so that should give me a good test of how the repair is going. I've got the Mighty Deerstalker the following week so the racing season is well and truly upon us and, injury aside, I can't wait to get into it.
If anyone has any tried and tested miracle cures for plantar fasciitis, don't keep them to yourself.

3 comments:

Davie said...

Stretch - place bare foot against a wall with toes a couple of inches off the floor. Push knee towards wall as if doing calf stretch, hold 10 - 15 seconds.

Tim said...

Hi Graeme, you might not want to hear this but I had to drop out of the 2007 WHW because of plantar fasciitis. A real bummer.

I did have some treatment eventually that seemed to effect a cure but it was a bit drastic.

Firstly though, I'd carry on with what you're doing and add rolling your foot over a tennis ball with increasing pressure. You shouldn't aim to provoke agony but it should be uncomfortable when you're doing it. I kept one by my bed and that way I'd always remember to do it before I got up and when I went to bed. I think it's important to "roll out" the PF a bit with the tennis ball before full weight bearing in the morning.

Stretching the PF by grabbing your big toe (when you're seated whth your legs crossed) and pulling back firmly is another useful stretch.

If none of that works you might want to think about "periosteal pecking (or "picking)" which is where a masochistic physio jabs an acupuncture needle right through your PF into the bony attachments to provoke inflammation & healing. Sounds drastic, sounds painful - and it is! I pretty convinced it worked for me though.

Good luck!

Drop me a line on tim.downie@gmail.com if you want to chat more.

graeme reid said...

Davie, Tim

Thanks!? I was out last night for a steady 6 miles and it felt ok this morning. I'll try your stretches but hopefully won't have to resort to your long needles Tim!