Tuesday 2 December 2008

The dreaded lurgy!

Running has been somewhat curtailed at the moment as all three children are off school with some kind of flu type bug. I'm not feeling too chirper myself and so rather than tempt fate and continue running in the current sub-zero temperatures, I'm staying indoors and trying to put off the inevitable bug transfer.

All being well, I'll be back out later in the week and with only about 60 miles left to do to complete my 1500 for the year, I'm keen to get out for a long run on Sunday morning.

The long run - ah yes, the staple of all long distance running training and for me, the most difficult to accommodate. I don't think I'm particularly unique as everyone has other commitments and pulls on their time although reading some of my fellow bloggers reports, some seem to have more than others. For me, Sunday's long run means a 6:00am rise and out the door for about 6:30am. This gives me a good 3 hours before returning to demands for swimming trips or bike rides by my pyjama wearing family. My enthusiasm for this is directly proportional to the amount of red wine consumed the night before and whether this was followed with a large Lagavullan or two!

I do try and get out with one of the organised training groups when I can and this gives me the chance to put in some extra miles.

Last year, I peaked at about 60 miles a week just before the WHW race. I don't see that changing dramatically next year but the plan is to run smarter, rather than longer and be a bit more structured in what I do.

So there you go, two posts in two days. Hopefully, my next one will include some comments on an actual run.

No comments: